Jenna - Manassas, Virginia

I believe in dress-up for big kids. Ever since I was little I’ve loved to play dress up. There is nothing more fun than putting on crazy outfits and pretending you’re someone else. A lot can be said about a person’s life by the way they play dress up. Are they the type of person who doesn’t play dress up at all? Maybe they’re the type of person who will put on anything if it looks interesting enough. You can also tell a lot about people by what they’ll put on. Dressing up in clothes you would never ordinarily wear can be an interesting outlet for your inner desires, and it can provide a unique window into how you would dress if no one was watching. For some reason when costumes are involved all social rules go out the window. Boys dress like girls, girls dress like whores, and ordinary people get a chance to be doctors and firemen. The reason that being able to dress up is so essential to life, is that with all the rules we face in our world today, people need a chance to live life the way they want to, without being judged.

When you’re playing dress-up, you’ll always have the most fun if you’re not afraid to look silly. If you just sit on the sidelines while everyone else plays with the crazy feather boas, you’ll be sorry when you’re looking through your scrapbook that you weren’t the one in the puffy pink princess dress posing for the camera. In the same vein, at the end of your life you won’t want to look back and have to realize that you didn’t do everything you could have because you were too afraid to look silly.

Some people just don’t know how to make their own fun, they have to go to a bowling ally, or a mini golf course, hanging they have to have some sort of pre-made fun at all times. These are not the people who are good at playing dress up. These are the people who go to a costume store, pick out the first thing they see, and pay whatever it costs just to avoid actually showing any creativity themselves. Dressing up is an exercise in ingenuity, the most creative dressers up can find an outfit anywhere. The same goes for life, the people who can find value in everything around them are far happier than the people who depend on “pre-made” fun to entertain them.

Playing dress-up is the great irony of life. It lets people be who they really are, while they pretend to be what they are not. So go home today, stand in front of a full length mirror and pose in whatever outfit you feel like wearing. And while you may technically have to go back to adult life eventually, there’s no rule anywhere saying you can’t bring the spirit of playing dress-up with you, back into the real world.