Brian - Traverse City, Michigan
Themes: pleasure

A Little Time For Brian

Barely surviving. Sometimes that is the best description I can find for my hectic life. Without a doubt I could be much less fortunate but sometimes I feel like I am going to lose my mind. I am all over town jumping between school, work, athletics, and home life. I know many people have it worse but sometimes I do not know what I would do if I could not release the pressure.

All of the activities I have to balance leave me with a tired mind and body at the end of the day. The hard work that I put in will benefit me, and I realize that, but some of the time I just want to kick back and let it all go. This is the time when I have to do just that, relax. A time for Brian. A little bit of time where I just let everything go and forget all of the earthly hassles.

Without this break nothing in my life could possibly function as smooth as it does. I am an active person so my release can be found in doing something physical. Tossing a frisbee, shooting hoops, going for a quiet walk, or my personal favorite, going fishing. These things just let me take a break from people, stress, school, and home.

There is one specific time in which my little “break” truly saved me. Going into the second semester of my Freshman year in high school I was confronted with a major road block, or an F on the exam for my Business Services and Technology class. Although one of the easiest courses our high school offers, I did not remember the importance of the instructions on the first page. I failed miserably and my parents were notified immediately. Not knowing what to do, and of course freaking out because of the gravity of failing my first exam, I decided I would need a pretty solid explanation to cool my parents off. Some people would have said that it would be important to start hitting the books, but not me. I went fishing. I walked down to a pond close to my house and just sat. I contemplated the situation and thought of what I needed to do in order to improve my score. That hour all of my mind was free and I was able to make my mind up as to the proper words I was to disclose to my parents.

A break from it all helps me function. I need to have a release to be able to complete the rest of the tasks on my schedule. The best medicine for a stressful life is taking a little time for yourself. Just relaxing helps the day go by. Everyone needs a break. Thats what I believe.