Dawn - Uhrichsville, Ohio
Themes: family, work

“Working Hard”

I believe that working hard will help me achieve my goals. Working hard has proven to me that it does work. This wasn’t always true, as a child I always took the short cuts because it was much harder to do it the right way. I didn’t work on my grades and of course it showed on my report card. My mother had no idea how to help me become a better student.

In Junior High, I wanted to try out for cheerleading. So I practiced and went to gymnastics. Gymnastics came naturally to me but the other aspects of cheerleading didn’t. It took working hard everyday before I became confident enough to try out. The hard work paid off, I became a J.R. High cheerleader. I cheered until my sophomore grade because I was too busy not studying and I thought that I had better things to do. I almost didn’t graduate because of my grades. The only people that know this is my parents and my children.

When, I became an adult at the ripe age of 19 years old, just having my first child, I realized that I had nothing to offer myself or my child. I decided I had to do something quick, and I enrolled in Medical Assistant School. It was a tremendous amount of work being at school from 8:00a.m. to 7:00 p.m. then coming home and taking care of my little boy. I took an additional phlebotomy class along with the other course. Nine months later I received two certificates and found a job working for a doctor’s office. I worked at the doctor’s office for 2 years, then at the local hospital for 7years.

My husband taught me a lot about hard work, he owns three businesses and works seven days a week every week. He hardly ever misses work, even if we are on vacation he still works over the phone. We have also instilled in our children that hard work pays off in almost every aspect of life. They all have had good grades and been very successful in any sport that they have participated in. Some have been state placers in wrestling, cheerleading. Some have done very well at football, baseball. All of them have worked since they were in high school. Now they are all successful at their jobs. They work in the oilfield about 50-60 hours a week at hard jobs. My 16 year old daughter even works cleaning my husbands shop and trucks. I believe in teaching children the value of hard work so they can achieve their goals also.