Christopher - Orem, Utah
Themes: courage, work

When I was in the 10th grade, I took the normal coed P.E. class. Every quarter of the school year, I was tested on my physical abilities, which included the dreaded one mile run.

I would be tested on my time and speed. Most others in the class had no problem running the mile. I had ran it the previous three quarters in about 9.5 minutes, but I was determined to run a mile under 8.

The clock started, and I ran. I had taken my time before, but now I promised myself that I would not even slow down to a brisk walk. After 7 minutes and 52 seconds, I finished the mile. Other kids had easily finished in 6.5 minutes, but I was still absolutely pleased with my time. This is why I believe in personal triumphs. This is why I believe in reaching the summit.

There are many sorts of challenges that require courage and bravery, and whether or not we overcome those challenges is what makes us who we are. Whether we have to play our best in a football game that seems unwinnable, or find the courage to ask someone on a date that we really like, we must win over our natural selves.

Competition can be quite difficult to get around, but knowing that we have done our best and that that is all that matters is always worth it. I once took a U.S. History test that was very important to my grade. I studied and felt like I knew the content of it. I took the test and almost passed it. I did pass the class, but only just. Even though I failed the test, I felt like I had done my best to prepare for it, and that was what made me pleased about it.

When we endure through our challenges, we achieve the highest possible reward: personal satisfaction. Climbing a mountain may take a long time, and it may be tiring and hard, but we can win the battle between our natural selves and our real selves by reaching the summit. This I believe.