Kaitlyn - Orrville, Ohio

This I believe:

I believe that effort is everything. In life there are many hardships that a person has to conquer. Effort is not only needed in difficult situations of life but also anything that is desired in life. Life is like mountain climbing.

A road over the Rocky Mountains is what my life has been like. But that is what everyone goes through. It started when I was about six my parents decided to get a divorce. With that situation I’m at the peak of the mountain, because the divorce doesn’t bother me now. But when I was little I couldn’t understand why mommy and daddy didn’t want to be married anymore. Now I see it is best for both of them. I would rather them be happy apart, rather than being together and miserable. My family and I after that had to use a lot of effort to get through that hardship in life.

Sometimes I would have to go through the little bumps in life. There were times when my parents would get a “boyfriend” or a “girlfriend”. I would have to be strong through this. Put up with their kids when I have been used to being only child. It was a new experience for me. As of now my mother is happy with her “boyfriend” that she has been with for three years now. My father has been staying solo for now after getting out of a six-year relationship.

Now, my effort is focused on my job, school and track. For a teenager, I have been juggling a lot of things. I have been at my job for two years now trying to save money up for college. It is hard going to school then going to practice then going to work till 9 at night, but that’s life. I have been throwing and jumping in track since about 4th grade. I have been lifting weights since 2nd grade. I would remember after my father would get off work we would lift in the basement. I have been putting all the effort that I have in track. I am currently one of the top throwers in the nation for my age. My dream is to go to the Olympics someday for throwing. I also want to become an RN. To be a RN will take tons of studying, and putting time into it I will not achieve that goal.

Life may become hard and the road maybe bumpy ahead, but I know that my effort will get me to where I want to be. I believe that effort is everything.