Megan - Fairfield, Connecticut

Mother’s Day

I believe in miracles. Not just the small miracles we see everyday, but the biggest of them all. Seeing someone almost get hit by a car, or almost fall off the side of a ship is yes, a quite large miracle, although I live in a much larger one.

When I was seven, my mom, my brother and I went to a lake in Fairfield, Lake Mohegan where things started taking a turn for the worse. My mom was getting tired, so we all decided to gather up the beach toys and start heading home. Once we got home, my mom put my brother and I into the bathroom to take a bath because we were all sandy. She ran into the kitchen to get a glass of water while I was playing Barbie’s behind the door and my brother Tommy, sitting on the floor beside me. When my mom came back in she got us in the bath and started washing my brother’s hair. She started to get a really bad headache and when she tried to tell us to get out of the bathtub she couldn’t speak. She took us out, wrapped us in our towels and brought us into the living room. She walked into the kitchen to call my dad when she got a little of her voice back and then it disappeared again. A couple minutes later she needed to call her doctor, for that exact amount of time she got her full voice back to explain what was going on, and then it disappeared again. That, within itself is a miracle, until you hear what happens a year later.

My mom had to go to California and Florida during the next few months because of what happened that day after the lake. It turned out that she had suffered a severe stroke, which no doctor had ever really heard of. My mom and dad went to California to have my moms brain evaluated multiple times. My grandparents came up from Florida to watch my brother and I. I remember that when my mom and dad left it was Mother’s Day and they never told me when they were coming back or when I would see either one of them again. When they eventually got back, they said that everything went well, but it was defiantly sugarcoated. My mom went through hospital after hospital receiving physical therapy because her stroke left her whole right side of her body paralyzed.

A couple years later my family started telling me what really happened because they felt that I was old enough to know. The most chilling thing that they told me, the most chilling thing that anyone could ever tell me is that when she was getting brain surgery she died, only for a minute but she died. That changed my life when my Aunt told me. I couldn’t believe that they held that from me or why they thought it was the right time to tell me now. A song says, “You don’t know what you got ‘till it’s gone”. This is totally true to my life but sometimes I like to alter it to more like “you don’t know what you got ‘till it’s almost gone”. This applies directly to me because, I’ve been living with one of the biggest influences on my life until one day she was almost gone.

I believe in these miracles, both the biggest, like my mom, and the smallest like getting an A+ on a test that I didn’t study for. It doesn’t matter to me what the miracle is but for me it changed my life and the biggest miracle is still with me and that’s all that matters.