David - Westfield, Massachusetts

Align the Energy

For a long time I have believed that expressing energy – in a positive, problem-solving way – is the key to my happiness. And as important as personal happiness is, I believe that the only real legacy that any of us can leave is the leveraging we can accomplish through identifying and aligning the energy of those who we number as family, friends, and associates.

I can pass on skills and positive attitudes that I have been fortunate to have inherited or learned – to help others align their energy. My vocation (that of a Human Resources professional) has provided a framework that has allowed me to teach, train, and mentor others. I have taught night school students . . . adults with the energy and desire to better themselves through the discipline of formal education. Their awakening and alignment of their “mental energy” produced many happy moments for both them and me. In work-related training, I have been able to transform work groups into teams – through the unlocking of the energy of understanding of individuals “preferences” and using that understanding to maximize group outcomes. As a negotiator of collective bargaining agreements, I have been able to turn differences of the parties into win-win outcomes for all. Thus negative energy is turned into positive outcomes.

One of my key avocations (trail building in the mountains . . .) has provided me with years of happiness and satisfaction in seeing people (volunteers) gain, develop, and utilize skills that I – among others – have been able to teach, coach, and mentor in them. To see steep mountain slopes being transformed into a well-constructed network of low-impact pathways is a joy to behold. Individuals and groups can pass over the trails and enjoy the beauty and solitude of nature.

Positive influence – exerting your energy in support of others aligning their energy – can have a profound effect in producing better outcomes. I have sought out these opportunities and have been rewarded through positively influencing others. Sometimes the “invisible hand” of the vision of a positive outcome – orchestrated through the alignment of energy – produces wondrous results! An employee realizes skills they never really knew they had – and then uses them in further leveraging the energy of others. Skilled selection and/or promotion can provide the highest and best use of an employee’s energy.

One hundred years from now few, if any, other human beings may remember your name or who you were or what you did. But the legacy of your positive influence in aligning energy can go on and on.