Sara - Orrville, Ohio

I believe in a slower pace life. Everybody is rushing around me. My dog rushes to get toy, even though she knows it will still be there if she takes her time. It’s unbelievable. Meeting someone who isn’t in a hurry is like finding a four-leaf clover in a field. I’m not talking about just once in a while; I’m talking about all the time. Even high school students are becoming like this. It’s almost like they have a class that teaches students how to rush around and always need somewhere to go. People look at you funny if you actually do have time to sit and read a book.

I’m a high school student who is about to graduate. I actually have time to read a book or draw a picture. How? Some people ask and I tell them that I don’t let all the rush and stress get to me. At school, I see all my friends and peers rushing to try to get things done. My friend and I have five out of eight periods a day together, which means we get a lot of the same homework. One of those periods is actually a study hall, which gives us time to do the homework assigned to us.

One friend rushes to get all it done in this one period, which is only forty minutes long. She realizes that I’m sitting there listening to music or reading a book. She always questions why I’m not doing the assigned homework and I always tell her that I’m not worried about it. I’m not going to allow the time limit affect me. I’m not lazy, I do all of my work and I succeed. Writing a ten-page paper took me approximately two to three weeks to write.

Teachers don’t like to accept the fact that I like to take my time. Neither do my friends, but they cope. In my time, I have rushed like most of our nation does and I became stressed and realized I needed to slow down before it turned into a dangerous situation. I’m patient and don’t expect perfection from everything that I do. I believe in a slower pace of life. I believe in taking my time. I believe in myself.