Nicholas - Palatine, Illinois

I believe if America wants to survive it better start cleaning up its act and realize it’s not what it used to be. America still may be number one, but for how long will this last? For how long will America’s students be able to rely on their lead to put them ahead of foreigners? For how long will America be able to bask in its past success while shuddering at the prospect of the near future?

America may be number one, but we can’t forget how we got there. Hard work and determination are the keys to success, and right now, to put it bluntly, we are fat, happy with where we are, and lazy. It seems we are as the exact opposites of those who got us to where we are now; of those who enabled us to be able to be so lacking. If they could see us now they would be ashamed, embarrassed, humiliated, yes, humiliated, but also very upset. Despite the wars and sweat it has taken us to get to where we are, we are about to give it up as if millions upon millions of Americans haven’t died trying to get this which we give away. We take our freedom and opportunities for granted, because many of us have never left the country. Many of us Americans are too engaged with more “pressing” issues, such as American Idol and Brittney Spear’s new shaved head, to have the time to even open their eyes to the horrors of the world. Too open their eyes and to be thankful. Is that so hard?

It is almost like America is arrogant, or declaring its wealth over and over again, by having the highest living conditions and by far the best opportunity for education and then not taking advantage of it. It is a fact. Foreign students are simply smarter and than students here at home. Standardized tests have shown across the world that India, Asia, and much of Europe are far superior to American students in the math and science, especially. And even here at home, a quick look into the higher level classes in college, especially in math and science, will show the majority of students are foreigners. Foreigners are getting their degrees and doctorates in American institutions without any Americans, and quite frankly, they should be. Because we must wake up sooner or later, then perhaps a good, hard slap in the face is just what we need to come back down to reality.

This which I believe worries me, America has got to be willing to step up to the plate and be able to compete on the foreign playing field. With this advance in technology, we’ll have to prove once again that America deserves its opportunity, and unless we change, we don’t.