mark - Orem, Utah
Themes: love

I believe that love is the essence of life.

I could sit here and tell you how important love is all day; but to truly understand its value a contrast to a life with love is needed. A world without love would thrive in selfishness, crime, and backstabbing; hurt would abound because we’d think only of ourselves. In essence we’d be in hell. The only governing law would be fear of punishment and a general sense of right and wrong-which would quickly fade as we desensitized ourselves. So how could one assume that this scenario would ensue without love, or that it would be prevented with love? To answer that question an understanding of what love is and how it helps bring out the best in people is needed.

The problem defining love is that it’s personalized for each individual and is therefore impossible to define completely. However one can describe what love should be like. Love can be: when you know you’re safe, appreciated, special, important, revered, etc. It’s knowledge that despite anything that might happen that you love them and would at any moment die for them. It is a bond of affection in which care and selflessness are implemented. It is seeing your companion as unreachable, always striving to get to their level. Love is all that and more, if care and effort are taken. These traits of love are exactly what help people to be better and help society. In my own relationship I strive to make my girlfriend happy. Once I know that she is all right, I then feel peace and joy, which is all the more avid when I assisted in getting her there. The desire to help comes from a love I have for her in which I truly care for her, more than myself even. This may sound like I’m a slave to love, whipped if you will, but the thing about it is I am most happy while doing service. In love it isn’t just one way either; it can be; but generally both parties are subject to all these details, making life a wonderful journey. This is the case with my love though I believe I still have a lot of catching up to do.

Love is the greatest joy imaginable; it gives one a sense of purpose and responsibility in life. No other aspect of life is as fulfilling or meaningful as it is. Even the down sides to love can be looked at as positives if you think about it. So what is there about love not to love? I mean even with all you can do for the one you love they do just as much for you. Love is simply the greatest thing there is about life. There is no replacement that could provide the fulfillment it does in life, and without it we’d sure be in trouble.