Lydia - Traverse City, Michigan

Lessons from Failure

Failure breaks; breaks the heart, mind, and soul. It is that wrenching feeling in my gut after I get a test back and see that I really should have been more diligent in my efforts to do well. However, failure does not always mean earning a low score on an assessment. Perhaps I failed at meeting someone’s expectations or my own expectations in the past, or will in the future. There have been instances where I failed to meet someone on time or I failed to perform a mundane household chore that my parents asked me to do. However, I believe failing can be a positive thing.

I hold myself to very high standards. Thus, that sense of failure is present when I do not reach my standards, or do not accomplish a long or short-term goal. Earlier on this year, I failed significantly at applying for scholarships. I was always too busy with other schoolwork, practices, my job, hanging out with my friends to sit down and take the much-needed time to fill out the applications. I let several chances of being able to pay off my first four years of college slip right through my hands. The biggest reason for my lack of responsibility was definitely that I had failed to see that my college years were approaching faster and faster and that it was up solely to me, not my parents, to prepare myself for that time.

However, I am not perfect and in my failure, I have actually gotten more emotional and mental strength regarding my decisions about next year. I worked hard to prepare myself for the Advanced Placement tests in hopes of receiving credit for next year as well as applied to the Insignis Honors Program at Aquinas so I can both meet people and take a more challenging course to better prepare myself for my four years of graduate school. I have learned from my failures and have become proactive to prove my eagerness to learn new information next year, even though I will need a job to help pay my way through college.