Asia - Fairfield, Connecticut

The Ability to Believe

“Man can believe the impossible, but can never believe the improbable,” Oscar Wilde. I believe in believing. Without believing or having trust in something, the world wouldn’t have advanced so far. Inventors, writers, and thinkers would all be stuck. Without having faith in their work or in themselves how could they have succeeded? I certainly don’t know where I would be if believing, faith, and hope did not exist.

It took me awhile to figure out what I believed in. I knew what I wanted to believe in and I knew what I didn’t believe in but I wasn’t exactly sure what I strongly had faith in. I first realized how important believing was to me right before writing this piece. I was sitting in the cozy little lounge above the Starbucks downtown drinking a hot delicious Dulce de Leche latte while waiting for my mom to pick me up afterschool. It was a rainy day but I felt inspired to brainstorm a list of things that I knew believed in. My list was quite long and it ranged from believing in love to believing in pie and everything else in between. At this point I had finished with my drink and the caffeine had taken its effect on me. I was up to number 34 (I believe in Starbucks) when I realized that I had omitted the most relevant item from my list. I believe in believing. Having faith in whatever you want to have faith in is the most important thing in life. To me, it is what life is all about. I can believe in religion if I want to. I can believe in individuality. I can even believe in magic if that’s how I feel. I can believe in whatever and whoever I choose as long as I just continue to believe.

Webster’s New World Compact Office Dictionary defines the word “believe” as: 1) To take as true or real, 2) To trust a statement or a promise and, 3) To have trust, faith, or confidence. I have trust in friendship. I have faith in family. I have confidence in happiness. I believe in believing. This I believe.