Christina - Franklin Park, Illinois

“You have the capabilities of doing whatever you want in your life, and don’t let any situation bring you down. The world is yours to mold, do what you wish with it.” My loving grandmother told me this few weeks before she died. I will never forget that advice she gave me. She was dying from a stroke, yet still took some of the last ounces of strength to get those words out to brighten my day. I was quiet, but my all knowing grandmother knew that on the inside, my heart was torn in a million pieces. She also knew that her words would make me think about the good that is coming in my life even though she soon would not be present with me. Her philosophy on life was to always find the good in any situation that came her way, and she taught me the same philosophy on life. This is why I believe in silver linings.

Silver linings are found everywhere I look, but her death was the hardest situation I had to get through. I could have taken her death harder than I did, but as I looked at the silver lining, I realized that I have someone one watching down on me to help me with future obstacles I will face. If she hadn’t taught me to look deeper into my problems to find the good, than I would now still ache with regret about her death due to our closeness.

People view death as heartbreak and sorrow, but if we all took a look at death with a silver lining perspective, then there would be happier people in general. After I thought about her death from this perspective, I then realized that it taught me to remember the good times, live my life to the fullest, and view all my problems in this way.

Looking at the silver linings in life has taught me to think about the actual situation of the moment in stead of just going through the motions. My mom cried for days when she first found out that her mother was dying and didn’t look deeper than the surface of the problem. I made her realize that it was better for her to move on so she wouldn’t hurt any more, then to stay here with us and suffer more. When my mom looked at it in that perspective she knew I was right, and she didn’t hurt as much. I opened her up to my grandmother’s philosophy, and now she believes in silver linings too.

Silver linings have the power to change the views of a lot of people in our society this is why I believe in them. Looking at the good in situations helped me overcome challenging times in my life including my grandmother’s death, but with silver linings I always knew everything would be alright. I believe that silver linings will change our future for the better, and will create a stress less society.