Chelsie - Castle Rock, Colorado

I believe you must find yourself without the help of anyone else.

I thought moving to a totally new high school 4 months before graduation would be the best way to find myself. I felt I needed something new in my life, something like a challenge, something different. I thought I was going to go crazy waking up, having nothing to look forward too, just walking the same steps I walked each and every day. The move allowed me to meet new people and experience new things. Things I thought I would never experience, either because I thought it was wrong or because that wasn’t the norm in my old surroundings. I seemed happy with my new life according to the people around me; I was a new person, a new Chelsea. To my parents, I was the same Chelsea, but making different choices and decisions.

My parents wanted to make the move out here just as much as I did, if not more. They thought it would be the best for me to get out of the same life I have lived for the past 14 years. They wanted me to become an “adult” and start an independent life. I was all for the idea of being on my own. All my friends still had to be home at curfew and check in with their parents hourly. I could be home whenever I wanted and didn’t have to check in with my parents for days. I believed this was the time to branch out and face this world on my own. I began to realize I wasn’t focused on school anymore and just wanted to work so I could have money to afford the things my mom and dad used to pay for. I started to see myself only living for the weekends and the time with my new friends instead of time with my family. I began to realize that I was turning my back to the world and it was doing the same. Finding out no one was on my side except for my party friends was very hard to handle and I began to become very homesick. I needed to live for tomorrow and the next day, not in the present. I found out that life can take an unknown drastic change in a blink of an eye. I realized all of this on my own and I was cured of my bad decisions and wanted to get back to my normal life.