Mike - Erie, Colorado

I sat in silence and listened to my fellow classmates spill their hearts about times they have been made fun of or witnessed it. I sat there with cement in my jaw because I was astonished at the various stories being told. I couldn’t believe these beautiful people telling stories of how insecure people have intentionally tried to put them down. It made me rethink about who I was as a person. Growing up, I have always been the popular athlete that had everything going for him. I never had to deal with people putting me down or calling me names. I was never directly affected by it. I was totally blind to how much little things can affect people. What really blew me away was the amount of people it was happening to. The thought of all of these stories stayed trapped in my mind all night. How could people make other statements or threats or something along those lines towards other people just to do it? What makes them think they could do these things and crush the spirit of another person? All of these questions lingered in my head for a week. I was one hundred percent affected by everything the class had said. I learned that every little thing that you do in your day has an effect on somebody, somehow. More importantly, I learned that every person has a delicate heart that can only take so much. As young people going out into the world, we need to take care of each other. A wave, a smile, a hug, or whatever it may be, just let people know that you care about them and appreciate them for what they bring in your life. I believe that every word or gesture we make could change someone’s life forever.