Tiffany - Orrville, Ohio

This I believe

I believe life isn’t about how much you can get from the world it’s about how much you give back to it.

I have been on many mission trips: West Virginia, Los Angeles, Chicago, Venezuela, and I will be going to Africa this fall. I have seen a trend in almost all of the places. People are needy. People who do not have food, yes, shelter, clothes of course, and so on. My heart breaks every time I see a person like that. In Los Angeles, I also met a remarkable person named Ananiah: a homeless Mexican woman, clothed in rags, who had very little and it was evident as she stood before us. She had taught our group that life wasn’t always about the kind of car a person drives, what kind of clothes a person wears, the cost of a person’s house, what matters is how you treat others.

Today, in our society, it’s all about status. People are striving to be something that they are not. Teens today are growing up in a materialistic world and it’s all about what they can get. People don’t look at the world realistically. It’s not likely that a common person will grow up to be a Paris Hilton or the next Brad Pitt. It’s not realistic but yet society idolizes these celebrities. Paris Hilton for instance isn’t famous for anything that she has accomplished. She was born into wealth and she is idolized for it,

I think that if people would take the time to really to get to know a person on a personal level to see what they offer in friendship, and not worry about if they are wealthy then our world would be a better place. People need to understand that it’s not how much you have, it’s how much you give back to people.

I think people relate more to honest and real people not, those who are trying to be someone they are. I don’t know anyone who likes to be around fake people. When someone is real with me I appreciate him or her more.

This world would be a better place if people would just give back. Don’t worry about what you get, just give. Like Ananiah from Mexico, sometimes the most remarkable people have few possessions.

This is why I believe that life isn’t about how much you can get from the world it’s about how much you give back to it.