Ethan - Gilbert, Arizona

Ethan Jeffers

Equal Opportunity not so Equal

Many people have different views on equality. I believe no matter what skin color, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation that one should be treated with equal respect. That was not case with my employer, behind the fake smiles and seemingly exceptional customer service was a not so equal employer. Many a time myself and other current employees would watch diverse groups come in for interviews but when it came to new hires the only people who ever got the job was Caucasian men and women.

Almost as if with all the triumphs in civil rights movements accomplished nothing. That Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King Jr. and other greats fought in vein for nothing. I believe though with these minor set backs that in my life time I will get to see a time when the word equal will truly mean equal. That the world will finally band together to snuff out injustices from the religious genocides in Darfur, Africa between the Muslims in the north and Christians in the south. Which I myself have been guilty of just ignoring figuring it being a world away, that it was not my problem to deal with.

Nearly all-great minds have been from minorities daring to do what many others had only dreamed. From Eli Whitney revolutionizing the textile industry to George Washington Carver and peanuts. Just like Leontyne Price once said: “Accomplishments have no Color”