Cassandra - Gilbert, Arizona

I Do Believe

I believe that miracles do happen. Throughout my life I have witnessed miracles taking place everywhere. Whether it is passing a test or not getting hit by a bus while crossing the street, no matter how big or small, miracles happen everywhere.

The year was 2001. My family had just returned from a vacation and we were returning to our regularly scheduled lives. My mom and dad continued their jobs as foster parents. One morning we got a phone call. There was a set of twins two weeks old that needed a foster home. My mom gathered the things she needed and she drove to the hospital. It took some time for her to fill out the paperwork and to actually get the twins home; but she finally arrived. Everyone got settled in and I finally go to lay my eyes on the twins, one had an oxygen tube hooked in her nose while the other one squirmed in her seat. They were born premature and were only slightly bigger than my dad’s hand. They had medical conditions other than that of being premature causing them to have several problems. They had doctor appointments that they had to go to, sometimes more than one in a single day. My mom was once told, by one of the doctors, that the girls would never even be able to walk or function like a normal child. Since we adopted them in 2004 they have taken steps in the direction of becoming functioning children, as we have worked with them every day. Both of them can walk, and the little girl does not need the oxygen tube anymore. I have witnessed the miracle of seeing two fighting children having the chance to live.

During the week of finals sophomore year everyone was stressing out. Worried about passing their classes, students were trying to find a stress reliever. For my friend, Katelyn, her relief was found in books. Her passion was books and everything involved with the. She would go to the bookstore very often to pickup p a new book to read. However, this day she was not looking for a book for herself. She had to pick up a gift for a friend so she decided to ride her bike to Barnes and Noble. On the way there a bus, yellow and big, hit her. She went to the hospital and escaped with a few cuts and bruises. A miracle occurred that day; Katelyn survived a horrific crash and was able to tell the tale.

I believe miracles happen every day. Throughout my life there have been occurrences that have changed me. Seeing my sisters have the chance to grow up or hearing the story of Katelyn’s quest for a book, I have witnessed miracles. They happen every day; I just have to look close enough.