Stephanie - Wisconsin
Themes: hope

I Believe in Lucky……..

(Sorry, too embarrassing to put in the title, you will have to read on)

My legs are shaking as I hear the footsteps of my music teacher. I could use a fluffy towel to wipe the sweat that has formed on my palms. I think to myself, no time to think, she’s here. “Ok you can go!” she exclaims. My heart races as I begin my piece in pursuit of perfection on the trail to first chair. As I finish, I glance over to swipe a peek at what my teacher has written up. My competitor plays next. She starts the song out with an incredible dynamic but finishes weak. I am devastated to learn the outcome was a tie and we each have to sight-read a new piece. I’m really stressing out because I stink at sight-reading and that is something my competitor excels in. I end up losing and in doing so leave myself only one more chance to challenge for first chair. As I replay and ponder on what went awry I hit my forehead and exclaim, “I forgot to wear my lucky underwear!”

I believe in the power of lucky underwear. This isn’t something I advertise because quite frankly, it’s positively embarrassing to talk about. I can’t pinpoint exactly when it all began, it just sort of evolved. I would find myself wearing certain pairs of underwear for important events such as piano recitals, basketball games and school tests or speeches. I would find myself having an immeasurable amount of success leading me to believe in the power of lucky underwear.

It doesn’t matter what kind of underwear it is. It could be Barbie, Spiderman, or plain old white underwear. You really won’t know until you have tested them. If your school has certain colors and you play sports or other school activities you might want to try underwear with those colors. It is also critical to have backup lucky underwear; you never know when important events may occur two days in a row. A person can never have enough lucky underwear. Don’t be afraid to admit it; go ahead say it out loud (you may want to wait until you’re alone), “I believe in lucky underwear.” Your luck will not only change, but you will end up with some new underwear.

“Ok, you may begin.” Here I go again, but this time I’m wearing my luckiest pair of underwear. The challenge starts out with a chromatic scale which we both ace. My nerves are tense as we perform a more difficult piece. At the end of the song we both strain our ears to hear the outcome. I made zero mistakes all the way through! My opponent made zero mistakes on the scale and four mistakes on the song! Should I tell her about lucky underwear? Maybe next year.