John - Woodberry Forest, Virginia

Expression Through Music

I am not a man of musical talents. I never have been, and most likely never will. Even though I can’t make my own, I still hold a strong passion for music. It makes me feel good. I have always been fascinated with how just a few minutes of a singer accompanied by a harmony of tunes can lead to such satisfaction. Though I am a big fan of country and beach music, I am still enthralled by all genres of music. What I find even more amazing is how music has the ability to define me as an individual. Each song that I hold dear to me represents a part of who I am. No matter where I find myself, I believe that there will be someone else around who shares an interest in my style of music.

. As a freshman in high school, I found myself lost at an all male boarding school in Virginia. It was my first night at the school, and I was already having trouble meeting new people. It wasn’t until I turned on my stereo that I found myself talking with other strangers. We all seemed to like the soothing sound of James Taylor that terrifying first night away from home. James helped me find friends that I still have today. At first, we had nothing to say to each other, but once we were lost in the music, our words flowed like a river.

Becoming a part of the music is what makes it so special. Like a good movie, music becomes an escape from reality. We are able to flee from the hustle and bustle of society. Music is like a drug. We become addicted to its extraordinary power. Being able to escape from the stress of boarding school is critical if you want to stay sane. Evenings are my time for escape. I plug in my headphones every night as I lie in bed. There I am able to loose myself in the wondrous sounds, and finally breathe easy. I forget all that is around me and wake up the next day refreshed.

In the car, at parties, weddings, funerals, or boarding schools music helps us to share our feeling with one another which in turn brings us closer together. Each of us carries our own play list of treasured songs. The songs on this list represent who we are in a way, and are displayed for the rest of the world to hear. We go trough life listening, hoping to hear someone with a common song. The music has the power to break through our outer facades and false appearances and expose our soul to the rest of the world. Because of this, I believe that music is the ultimate form of expression.