Randall - Indianapolis, Indiana

Waking Lives

“Life Is But a Dream” leaves me questioning, “Is mine, the only real reality? Do I create my own reality, the way I live, when I go to heaven, even the people in my life? What is real and what has been created by my own perception of my reality? What can I do to create the reality I really desire?”

I was in the toughest semester of nursing school, and my step-father (whom I will refer to as my father because he was the best father figure) was dying. I was going to school in Indiana, but my mother and father lived in Tennessee. My mother had finally found happiness and was married to my father for 14 years. I had just taken the hardest final exam from the hardest class in nursing school, and I received a call from my mother that my father died. She told me, “Charlie wanted me to tell you he loved you and he was proud of you.” After the autopsy results it was determined he died of hospital error. He was diagnosed with lupus, but actually had cryptococcyl meningitis. So, actually all of the treatments he was receiving were decreasing the defense of his immune system (steroids, chemotherapy, etc.). The toughest part to swallow was when then doctor who was performing the autopsy stated he could have lived if he would have been diagnosed properly and received the proper treatments.

During this tough semester in nursing school and before my father died, I had decided I was not going to finish nursing school. After my father died of hospital error, I made it a personal goal of mine I would finish nursing school and ensure I will do everything I can to help my patients and change people’s lives. So, for the last year and half, I have been a Registered Nurse making a difference in people’s lives. I would never change that dream for a second- no regrets!

Before what we call the light bulb was a light bulb, it was just a dream in one man’s mind. Before we found certain groups of people free of slavery it was but a dream. Whatever thoughts we hold in our minds, be we judge them as positive or negative, they will always manifest the visions we put in place. Perhaps the results show more slowly during our awake times than during our sleeping times, but could that be because it’s what we think to believe and know? Whether you truly believe in it or not, either way you are always correct. The evidence is everywhere, if you’re conscious of it; the teachings are everywhere if you’re mindful to them. But the most intriguing part to remember is the possibility that perhaps it could be you that is putting them there, because if it is what you believe… then you are right.

We can use our dreams to unlock the latent ideas we’ve longed for in our waking lives–if only we can wake up.