Julie - Palatine, Illinois

I believe in the versatility of the human heart; the rebirth of an individual’s ability to love after a past relationship has been reconciled. Often, the hate that atrophies under the surface of a stoic face is the one that can destroy the will of the one who is harboring the negative emotions. Whether it is the emotion that someone feels after a rocky relationship or whether it is facing the death of an individual you were deeply attached to. Even though it is often difficult to let go of the physical presence or memory of someone you had a deep connection with, it’s part of a healthy cycle of life to accept the past and to forward in the here and now.

I believe that every relationship that you forge is somehow connected to how you fulfill the being that you were destined to become. Although you may not be in communication with people who you were best friends with back in high school or in elementary school, or even individuals you dated in the past, each person you encounter shapes the way you become whether you make a conscious effort to obliterate them from your memory or not.

For a good seven years of my life, my best friend and sometimes I believed, my only friend, Michelle, was my only source of solace in a world that my parents made difficult for me. My parents always expected too much of me and before last year, I never really knew what it meant to live life. Every weekend, I was expected to stay in and study, but if I was lucky, I would be allowed to go and hang out with Michelle for a couple hours. Those three hours would always be my respite, my refuge from the dizzyingly high bar that my parents set for me. For three hours, I was allowed to be myself and I never took them for granted. However, things began to change between Michelle and I. Our friendship began to fragment. She began to change because her personality was affected by those she was with when I was alone at home. It wasn’t long before we decided to call it quits because we had both changed so much.

Although I felt the bitterness between us, I was able to let go of my past resentment and embrace my new life fully. The freedom that senior year provided me allowed me to branch out to form new relationships and I feel that I have become a better person for it. I believe that once the bitterness is released from a person’s memories, they can move forward with their lives. This I believe.