Robert - Gilbert, Arizona
Themes: integrity, sports

Honest Rob

Sitting in the locker room waiting for my turn to talk to the coach I was nervous, what did he know? Who told him? What would I say? Whenever I am put into a serious situation that could result in consequences my stomach tightens up and I worry about what I should do. As a sixteen year old and a sophomore in high school I was drinking at a party with some teammates and over football coach found out about it. When we went to weights the next Monday we were told to sit and wait to be called in to coach’s office, he knew. People were whispering about what story we should tell to keep ourselves out of trouble, I knew I would just answer any questions he had about me and let the others do what they wanted. I was one of the last people to be called in to the office, when I got in there you could cut the tension with a knife. Coach asked me if I was at Mike’s party and I told him yes, by the time he asked me if I drank I was sweating bullets and pale as a ghost, but I told him truthfully yes.

My family raised me to be an upright person and never fold under pressure and to always tell the truth raised me. By doing this I would accept responsibility for my actions and would not compromise my integrity for someone else. This is just part of how I was brought up and what I have grown up into being. Honest is a huge part of who I am and how I live my life, which I with no apologies and no regrets. I feel that if people know exactly what I’m about they will respect that and if they don’t I will be glad to know I wont be friends with them.

When I see people lie it really bothers me to know that they don’t care about me enough to tell the truth. Lying is the worst thing for anyone to do to me because it shows me that I’m not even worth something as easy as truth. I try not to associate with liars because they bring me down and also people look at me as less because of them.

Now looking back on the time I was forced into a pressure situation I am glad I chose to stick to my morals. If I would have lied things could have been much worse and I think I would be looked down upon. Being honest has made people more open to me and come to me for advise which has made me a good friend.