Bobby - Inverness, Illinois

I believe that life is about individual happiness.

Some contend that the purpose of one’s life is the glorification of “God” or the advancement of civilization. They say that these should be the only purpose to anyone’s life.

I tend to take a more relativistic approach to the purpose for life. If everyone can determine why they are here they have the ability to be fulfilled. One who says that the advancement of religion is the ultimate purpose to life does not seem to understand that religion to them just makes them the most happy. This is not true for everyone. Some people find religion contrived and pointless. By forcing religion upon them, these preachers are only making life less enjoyable for some. If someone truly needs religion to make them most happy, then they should practice that religion, but not shove it down other’s throats.

This is also true of people who define success as a merely monetary or a contrived societal view of success. Some say that getting to the top of a “company ladder,” or making enough money will define someone as successful. I see success as something that only the individual can define. If someone sees their life as a success because of a great business achievement, then they are successful. But saying that someone who makes twenty thousand dollars is not successful if they are doing something they love is wrong. I have seen people who work at a surf shop and live on a beach, but are among the happiest people I know. They love where they are in life and what they are doing.

I am moving out to California in three months. I feel the need to have a new experience away from my life in Chicago. People tell me I am just going out there for the weather or ask how I could just leave my family like that. They are stuck in the mindset of needing society’s affirmation of their actions. A person can never feel completely fulfilled in life until they are able to do exactly what they want, without being bound by society’s constraints.

I believe that until humanity can stop living by societies rules, people will never be able to realize why they are truly alive. When people finally do break free from these constraints they will be able to find the joy and happiness that all human perpetually seek.

This I Believe.