Stephanie - Palatine, Illinois
Themes: carpe diem, death

I believe that everything happens for a reason. Everything from the people we meet to the obstacles we encounter all happen for a reason. Sometimes that reason is known, but often times it is not. Part of the purpose of living is to discover the reason events in our life happen, why they happen, and what caused them to happen. Whether the event is good or bad, a birth or a death, in the end, it is for the best. Especially when viewing tragic events, people tend to overlook the fact that they happened for a reason. It is too difficult for most people to fathom why their beloved son passed away or why their father was diagnosed with cancer. People ask themselves why all bad things happen to them; why they were singled out when there are millions of other people in the world that this very same thing could have happened to.

After the death of one of my closest friend’s brother, everything in my life was put into perspective. Everyone at the funeral asked himself or herself why God took him so young at a mere 17 years of age. They would ask themselves how he could possibly have fulfilled his life’s purpose and experienced everything life had to offer him if he wasn’t even granted the opportunity to graduate high school. Obviously everyone was devastated by his death, especially his parents. But something his parents said at his funeral had a profound impact on my beliefs and the way I view the world. His parents said that Jaymes had fulfilled his purpose in life. He had accomplished more in his 17 years on this earth than most people do when they die during their golden years. Jaymes truly touched each and every person that was part of his life. Jaymes’ had experienced everything this world had to offer. He had a perfect GPA, was a star athlete of multiple varsity sports, and was accepted to M.I.T. Jaymes was ready to move on to a place that would offer him something that was unattainable on earth. I view Jaymes’ passing as a ticket to a new life.

I truly believe that everything, including death, happens for a reason. Whether we want certain things to happen or not, some events are fated to occur and there is absolutely nothing we can do to prevent them. Part of being human is learning to accept those events, no matter how difficult it may be. I try to accept what life has to offer me, even if it is not necessarily what I had hoped or desired. Everything that happens every day, every hour, every second, all happens for a reason. I believe in taking life for what it is and live everyday with no regrets. I view every day as an opportunity for growth and change, a chance to tell someone I love them, a chance to take risks and face challenges, but above all, a chance to LIVE. This I believe.