Esther - Schaumburg, Illinois

I believe in food.

I believe love does not produce love; food produces love. I believe full stomachs lead to full hearts. It is when our own bellies are satiated that we can begin to think about the empty bellies on the streets. It is when our own bellies are satiated that we can begin to think about the empty bellies in Africa. It is when our own bellies are satiated that we can begin to think about the empty bellies around the world.

Is this bad? No. After all, food is the basic necessity that humans need to sustain life. It is only bad when full-bellied people desire to go beyond the level of full-bellieness. When they begin to proclaim that what they have is not enough, that their unsatisfied desires justify the taking of other people’s necessities, this is when the distinct line that differentiates the human and animal world is diminished.

Food brings people together. Friends and family enjoy dinners together where they are free to discuss about the lives of each other. Business negotiations are discussed over food. Why not use food to bring countries together? The full-bellied people need to take global poverty into their plump hands. Giving the needy food gives them the means to survive and helps them build the capacity to love. Love can solve the problems of hatred that is pervasive in our world. Food is the mother of love. Perhaps if we can make more people with satiated bellies, the capacity to love in our world will increase all the more.