Diana - Hoffman Estates, Illinois

I believe that having self-confidence is the best thing that I can do for myself. Sometimes I lack that quality, but after Mr. Deverell, my seventh grade math teacher, introduced chess to me, I can always regain it by playing chess. Of all the activities that I’ve been involved with, chess is, by far, the most meaningful activity to me. Although several clubs, teams, internships, and volunteer works have increased my communication skill and ability to work efficiently with others, chess has taught me the most important quality of all – self-confidence. Sometimes in an effort to pursue a common group objective, I inadvertently rely too much on my teammates, think that my plan would not accomplish what’s best for the team, or believe that other’s plans are better than mine. As a result, from time to time, I seem to doubt myself a little too much. Chess, however, has forced me to regain self-trust because after all, chess is about me, and only me, learning to listen to my heart to defeat my opponents.

Back to the point, I believe that self-confidence is very important in every aspect of my life. Take career for example. There are people who think that they can’t achieve anything worth accomplishing or become someone great. Thus, they act in according with their negatively distorted beliefs and do nothing to contribute to the world. On the other hand, with some self-confidence, I believe that I will become a brilliant, successful actuary, working at a headquarter of a large insurance company in a city, and will come up with an affordable insurance plan for everyone, while putting no risk to the company itself.

Having self-confidence is simply an excellent feeling. Without doubt and all the “I can’t,” “I am not able to,” and “I am not capable of” thoughts, I can push myself and achieve whatever I want.