Ektaa - Rolling Meadows, Illinois

I believe in the power of family. Growing up in India, I was always surrounded by family members swarming around the house, always doing something together. It was constantly lively and we always knew what was going on in each other’s lives. It was hard to find a single quiet moment in the house. Children didn’t move out of the house after college and parents didn’t want them to. Then when I moved to the United States, I was presented a very different culture, I saw the variation between family-oriented life in a collectivistic culture and a life where family is scattered in different places.

I do not mean to imply that there weren’t fights between family members when I was younger. There were as there always will be. It was just a completely different atmosphere. Conflicts arose but they never redefined our feelings about each other. All differences were put aside and love held the biggest places in our hearts. Everyone was really connected to one another and the power of love was felt even in the darkest of times. I’ve seen the power of family in my life many times. They are a constant support group, helping not only in the most difficult times but even when everything is fine.

Being connected with family members doesn’t mean that all members must live in the same house or be in close proximity all the time. Real love is defined by what you hold in your heart and your feelings about each other.

From what I have experienced in my life, I believe that family needs to hold a more valuable place in our hearts and lives. We must remain connected to the people who have the same blood running through their veins as we do. Family is most powerful weapon you can have against life’s worst moments.