Anthony - Palatine, Illinois

I believe that self esteem is the single most important thing that a person can have and value. I believe that someone’s self esteem is, for the most part, the product of how that person has been treated by the countless people they have interacted with. This is why I believe it is so important to treat everyone with as much respect as you can. In my life I have encountered people countless times who I immediately can tell have a low self esteem. These people are unsure of themselves, and in reality they do not have much about themselves that they can look upon in good light. If this is someone I know, I usually try my best to strike up a conversation with this person, and a lot of times I can tell they are surprised by my doing this. It brightens their day and makes me feel good about myself that I improved someone’s self esteem. The reason I do this is because I consistently see people with high self esteems hurt others with insults and put-downs. The people who have been put down usually have nothing to strike back with, and this makes me feel remorse for them. Throughout my life I have tried to be really nice to all of the kids I notice usually get made fun of, and I believe this is the best way to live. I hope that these people feel better about themselves when they notice another high self esteemed kid treating them with respect. I believe that this is really important because self esteem is an essential quality for success. People with a low judgment of themselves are going to be doomed when it comes time to prove themselves to others. If someone cannot think of their self in a good light, they are going to have a very tough time getting someone else to.

I believe that kindness and respect are two of the best qualities someone can have. This is because they not only make others feel better about themselves, but it puts a much better image of you in their minds. That same kindness and respect is guaranteed to come right back to you in ways that will sometimes surprise you and always put you in a good mood. All of this works in part to raise your self esteem, while at the same time raising the self esteem of others. This makes the environment a much better place. I believe that if kindness and respect is the only thing one has to offer to the world, then they better give it right up, because it is all of our duties to improve the environment and the world for the billions of people that will follow us. I believe we should all try our best to leave the world a better place than we found it.