Jessica - Rolla, Missouri

Life As I See It

“Abraham replied to the rich man, ‘My child, remember that you received what was good during your lifetime while Lazarus likewise received what was bad; but now he is comforted here, whereas you are tormented,’” quoted from Luke 16:25. I believe this passage from the bible is true. I believe the rich man had an ideal life, while Lazarus had the unjust one. Life on earth can be unfair, but we will have a chance in heaven to receive everlasting happiness, like Lazarus.

When I lived in Germany, I traveled to many different countries. Throughout my travels, life didn’t always appear to be fair. I saw the differences between the wealthy and the poor: people who have shelter, clothes, money, and a job, and to those who… I wondered why people got placed in lives they may not have wanted.

When I went to Mother Teresa’s Beatification in Rome, I saw poor people and beggars. I also saw many people in their designer clothes and handling fat wallets. I felt sorry for the poor people and thought their lives were tough, but maybe the rich people were the ones actually needing the prayers. Maybe the poor person was happier than the rich person. It was then that I realized that the fairness in life is how one perceives it. The major things I may think are unfair, may be a minor problem to others.

Some people are mentally challenged. They might be picked on, learn in a special school, and treated differently. They may know something was wrong with them, but they aren’t able to do anything about it. From the outside, their lives seem unfair, but they might have accepted the way they are regardless.

I sometimes feel my life is not fair. Since my dad is in the military, I move a lot. This is tough because I have to adjust to a new state or even a new country! Every few years, I leave behind many friends and have to make room for more. I don’t like it, but many people may want to be in my place. They may think I’m fortunate to be able to explore the world.

During Lent, I temporarily fast and give up something. For many others, “fasting” is not by choice, because there is no food for them to receive. I believe this is unfair, but they may look at starving as a way of life.

When it comes to the poor, they may envy the rich and vise versa. The poor man may want the materials the rich man has, but does not realize the stress and conflicts these items give, such as paying off bills. But the rich man may want to have a simpler life like the poorer people. I believe it doesn’t matter if you’re rich or poor because we will all have problems one way or the other. I think this is what causes life to be unfair.

Fairness and unfairness is one’s own interpretation. There is nothing I can do to make something seem fair to everyone. We have to accept life for what it is and not compare our lives to others.

I ponder about what Jesus did for us: how he died on the cross and rose from the dead for us to have a chance to have eternal life. I wonder that maybe God does have a plan for each individual. Maybe the person’s whose life is tough on earth may be rewarded in heaven. Maybe life on earth is unfair, but we will have fairness once and for all in heaven.