Stephanie - Mesa, Arizona
Themes: equality

It Shouldn’t Have to Be That Way

I believe that people have the choice to love and be loved by any gender that they choose. I didn’t always understand the feelings that I have now; they just recently came to me about two years ago. I was really confused about some things, until I met an amazing person. I believe that true love can be found in any gender, and I found mine in the same.

At my senior prom, 2007, I was so excited. I was with my girlfriend, at my house, getting ready. I had nervous little butterflies in my stomach, but I was just so excited that they went away in less than a minute. After what seemed like 100 pictures from out parents we were off. Singing love songs to each other, holding hands, and sneaking kisses at the red lights, we were really excited to just be together. We finally found the Stone Bridge Manor. We were the first couple there, and that way we had a chance to hold hands and look at how beautiful everything was. We took a seat on one of the benches to wait until the music was going to start. That is when Lindsay, my girlfriend, took my hand, looked into my eyes and said with all honesty, “You look so beautiful tonight.” All I could think to myself, was how could people not want to find love, even if it is in the same gender? Everything was just amazing, or so I thought. When the music started we were a little hesitant to get on the dance floor, but we did. We were dancing for about thirty minutes until she started to hear comments. She was starting to get a little pissed off, so I led her off of the dance floor, “Babe, what’s wrong? Why do you look so mad?” I asked her. “I’m having a good time with you, but people are making me so mad!” she said looking at me. “Do you want to go back on the dance floor? If you hear anything else, we can leave okay Baby?” I asked her. “Okay Baby, I’m so sorry, I didn’t mean to ruin your prom.” She said looking down. All I did was gave her a kiss, took her hand, and led her back to the dance floor. “What the hell are they doing here?” “How did lesbians get into prom?” “Do you want to dance over there now?” I didn’t really hear the comments before, but I knew that Lindsay was hearing things like this the whole time, no wonder why she was so upset. “Baby, I think we should leave now.” With her being frustrated, I couldn’t help but be sad, but there is nothing that I could do but hold her hand and comfort her.

I was so upset, I just couldn’t believe that there was so many people that I could tell, really didn’t want us there. It made me the maddest, because it’s my senior prom just as much as it was there’s. Why should I have to leave just because they were out of their comfort zone? I could really feel the hate in the room that night. But why does it have to be that way? I have talked to many people; they have said that it was against their religion to agree with same sex couples, yet they didn’t discriminate against me at all. Not everyone agrees with everything, but they also do not have to be jerks and treat people like they are lower than them.

I believe that there could be a same sex couple go into a public place and not feel that they are wanted place. I believe that same sex couples have the choice to be with the same gender, and that others around them also don’t have the authority to say if they do not want the couples around. I am very glad to have the one that I love with me, and I know that if I didn’t have her, and have the support from her that finding out first hand how rude people can be would have been a lot harder on me.