Sabrina - higley, Arizona

Naming Others

When I was out with my dad and his friends, all I heard was his own friends calling him a terrorist because of his background coming from Iraq. But, that wasn’t the only time I heard people laugh about my dad because he is from the Middle East. My aunt always tells my dad that his people killed the Americans, which isn’t true at all. My dad is Assyrian, which isn’t the people that caused the crash into the World Trade Center. So, why are people calling him a terrorist? Is it right to judge someone by where they are from just because what has happened in the world? It’s not right because they do not control what goes on in the world today. I believe that we should not judge people from where they are born.

I believe that because it’s saying that everyone from one country is one word. What would people from other countries think of the people of America? They would think that we are fat but luckily they don’t. They think of America as being free and not just a silly fact. We can’t see the real person inside, if all we think of one little word to describe one person by what is going on in the world. We are generalizing people from where they are from by what’s going on. I mean there is a huge border control problem in the United States. Are we going to call every person from Mexico an immigrant? Last year, a couple of men were taken off an airplane because other people from the plane were uncomfortable. They were uncomfortable because of how they looked and their dark skin. I get sick of people calling a person something but in reality they are not what others think of. They are just from a different country such as Iraq, Mexico, or many other countries. I find it not right at all because people are getting hurt from all the names that are placed among them from situations in the world today.

The words are harmful and they get friendships into fights like my dad’s. The situations in the world, don’t apply to innocent people but just those people like Osaka Bin Laden did plan out the tragic memory of September 11, 2001, not my dad. I just hope people realize that just because we live in a free country, it’s not right to label people names. They don’t have control of where they are from or how they grew up. The people should accept people for who they are and not where they are from. The people of the world come out to America to live a better life and not come out here to be hated on. So, next time something happens in the world that applies to a person who is not American then don’t go after everyone one that is from the same country.