Caleb - gilbert, Arizona

This I Believe…

For years the leaders at my church have preached on the idea of serving others. Yet, how many people actually do acts of service? Service is a way to help people in need without the desire of pay. Recently I have had the opportunity to do my part for the community at a local elementary school. They were in need of service and I was there to help.

With only a month left to finish my eagle project, I was in dire need of a project. I was informed about a local elementary school In need of some service so I agreed to help. I was asked to remove shelving units form about forty classrooms. Then I was to build new, sturdy units for all the forty classrooms. The next step was to organize and plan out the remodeling of the classrooms. So I called on my fellow church group members to help. The project took a total of two weeks; it consisted of building new shelves, painting, removal of existing shelves, and installation of the new and final shelving. After I had finished the project, I met with the schools principal about the progress and results of the project. She was very impressed with the work and could not express how much the school appreciated the new additions to the classrooms.

Afterwards I realized how little acts of service can make all the difference in a community or home. This project gave back to a school in the littlest way but made a huge impact on the school as a whole. I believe that service should be apart of every person’s life. Serving other people is such a great experience not only for me but for the people I serve. There are many ways for a person to serve, in the community, at school, and even at home. I believe every person should take the opportunity to serve at least one person in his or her life.

I have learned now that service can affect the community as well as the people in it. I understand its purpose and now know form my eagle project at the local elementary school why it is important. I should not think negatively about having to serve, but should choose willingly to do my part and help other people when they need that act of service the most. Therefore I believe in service and its role in life and its effect on people around me.