tiffany - mesa, Arizona

The Strength Is In The Struggle

There is struggle in every person’s life, no matter how large or small. The struggling that one goes through in their life can help to mold their character. Whether someone chooses to use their difficult experiences in life to make positive changes or negative changes is up to them. Every person has the choice to take the experience and learn from it and apply those lessons to better their own life. On the other hand some people may chose to take the experience and choose to have a victim stance and go on to use it as an excuse for poor behavior later in life. This basic belief that I have can be summed up by the idea that what does not kill you makes you stronger.

I have had an experience in my life that greatly affected the way that I think about going through hard times. When I was eight years old my mother went to prison for being involved with drugs. I was forced to move to Arizona to live with my father with only one of my three sisters. My other two sisters had to move to California live with their dad and this was very difficult to get used to. On top of that I have since to see or hear from my mother in over ten years. The difficulties of getting used to living with out my mother and my two older sister were very hard on me. I went through a time when I was very mad at my mother for doing all this to our family, but after time I realized that she is only human, she makes mistakes, and I forgave her.

It was hard for me to find the bright side at first but after time it came. I realized that I could not change what happened, I could not make my mother want to see me, but I could change the way I saw the situation. Instead of letting it get to me over the years I have made it my personal goal to never let myself be anything like my mother. I have used it as a lesson to help me make stronger choices in life. I chose to learn from this experience instead of letting myself use it as a crutch for the rest of my life. Although this experience was the hardest thing that I have gone through, it did not kill me, and it most certainly made me stronger.