Derrik - Higley, Arizona

Music Is Life

Music touches many lives, and crosses many boundaries no matter age, sex, if sick or impaired. Music acts like a medicine for me, helping me through my life in this world. Every day I go to school and look forward to going to my choir class. All in all my life revolves around music. If I am angry and distraught, music comes to the rescue and helps calm me down, and also helps me take an outside look at most situations. If I feel sick, I find a song that is uplifting and proper for the situation.

I feel that music crosses many boundaries and touches lives. When I was in first grade, I performed “Angels Among Us” by Alabama with my fellow choir classmates in a Christmas music program. After the program I was with my mother, and I recall so many people coming up to me crying and hugging me. I understand now how I touched the lives of many people that night, as well as my mother’s. After all of these years we cannot find a recording of the performance.

Last year in an “end of the year” concert, we sang “for the beauty of the earth”. And for the concert someone volunteered to use sign language and relay the words of the song to the audience. At the end of the performance I went up to a crying woman, and asked her what was wrong, I got no response, just a look of joy and contentment. Confused I looked at the woman beside her who was signing to the crying woman, the lady replied to me saying that she enjoyed the song very much. That changed my life. From then on I was convinced that music touched many souls and crosses boundaries.

Music has touched my life and I am convinced that it will continue to touch and change my life until the day I die. Like I said previously music is like a medicine for me, aiding me in my daily life whether I am angry, or sad.