Gina - Cedar Park, Texas

It’s difficult to find an original of anything floating around a stack of copies twice as high. When you make a copy of an original, the color of the copy is never as vibrant as the original. When you are continually making copies of copies, the colors and distinctiveness are lost and begin to blend creating mere shadings on a pale sheet of paper. It works the same way with humans. Conforming away from your true self to be perfect in every aspect of who you are seems incogitable to me.

It seems as though everyone lives their lives as though they are characters in a play living the life that seems acceptable to society. When society only makes you think the only way to true happiness is to fall into one of the tricks of the media that money, fame, and beauty will get you to where you want to be. When in reality, Imperfections and uniqueness are two qualities people should have play the leading roles in their lives full of characters.

During some of the most awkward years of my life, when I was ten and just began middle school, I opened the blue double doors at Grisham Middle School and stepped foot in a whole new world filled with teenagers and floors tiled with linoleum. I was the lead character in my own play that never thought about perfection; the nerdy Jedi wannabe in a play based off an alternate universe. I walked in with a crooked smile, fresh face and grey glasses distinguished by the little yellow sponge on the ends of my glasses; a much simpler time. At school, I could be myself around people despite the fact that I had an excessively large overbite, no makeup, and glasses fit for a Spongebob fanatic. I’m not perfect and I am quite aware of that. I could sit here and give you a list of a hundred and one imperfections about myself and probably give the same amount about you. What’s wrong with being something more than a duplicate of the kid sitting next to you? For every imperfection I found in myself, I’d let a positive attribute of myself shine through brighter than a single yellow rose laying on a bed of black roses. Overbites would be covered up by an over sized heart. Dorky glasses would be covered up by my own dorkiness and sense of humor that could make even the most dramatic teenage girl shut her mouth and laugh. Being fresh faced would be covered up by showing people that I’m not afraid to take off the mask of layers and layers of make-up and show who I am.

I believe that you grow from your own imperfections and uniqueness. Being different from the person sitting next to you should be praised and not something to be afraid of. It doesn’t matter how hard you try, it’ll always be more difficult to find an original floating around a stack of copies.