Adrienne - Barrington, Illinois

I believe that I’m not perfect. It could be argued that I sincerely try to get as close to perfect as I can. You can find me in church on Sunday morning. I always try to hold the door for people at the store, and say bless you when people sneeze. I try to pray when I’m thankful, not just when I need something. I try to get good grades, and please my parents. I try to be a good friend, and always be available to help. I try to please everyone, but that’s just not possible.

As a human, this is the side that I want people to see. This is the side my parents and grandparents brag about. This is the side that my teachers praise. This is the side that my little neighbor looks up to. As a human, this is not the only side of me there is.

I’m not perfect. I do make mistakes, and my actions don’t always agree with my beliefs. I believe that the only one who has a right to judge others is God, himself. Yet, you can hear me on the phone talking about how Hailey’s a bad friend, Ally is really annoying, and Michelle eats too much. I tell my friends that I’m always there for them, yet you can see me pressing the ignore button on my phone because I am just too damn tired to listen to Maggie whining about her boyfriend. I really want to please my parents, but I lie to them about going out on the weekends. I try to think of others, but the bottom line is that I am a selfish, flawed human-being.

Whether he, she, you, they, I admit it: we are not perfect. We are all hypocrites, and we are all bound to make mistakes. We can’t always live our life standing up all the time for everything we believe in. The sun isn’t always going to shine, sometimes the rain pours down. It’s not about doing the right thing all the time, it’s about acknowledging our weaknesses, and striving to conquer them.

It’s not about the mistakes I make everyday or the sins I commit everyday. It’s about how I handle the consequences of my actions. It’s about taking the morally right path, even when I know, ahead of time, it’s going to be harder. It’s about jumping into the fast lane when I’m scared as hell, instead of sitting on the couch watching other people live their lives.