Eden - Palatine, Illinois

I believe that everyone is in this world for a purpose. I used to think we were put on earth to help other living things until I opened my eyes to see what was actually happening. Few people focus on helping other people, especially in a nation consumed by capitalism. It seems to me that everyone is more concerned with helping themselves.

True, everyone has to have selfish motives. It’s called the will to survive and it’s natural in humans as it is in every animal God (or whatever you believe) created. However, seeing selfish ideals overcome those of helping other people is when I think mankind needs to rethink their purpose on earth. I’m not saying I’m perfect, but I fight for what I feel is right. Everyone deserves the right to choose what they think is right. I’d like to say everyone has gotten that choice. Their own passivity is what oppresses people. It’s when living things don’t have a choice that I see the most selfishness of mankind. Wildlife is overrun by suburban housing. Rainforests are destroyed. Some animals never get to see the light of day due to factory farming.

I’ll never forget one day as I was leaving church a lady brushed by me and her animal fur coat rubbed up on my skin. That’s when I realized going to church doesn’t make you religious, or a better person. This lady was willing to sacrifice the life of an animal to make herself look better. This day and age we don’t need animal fur because substitutes have been created. She put on the act that she loved God and went to mass, but disrespected his creations. Those animals were most likely painfully electrocuted so not to harm the precious fur. This lady wasn’t concerned with anything but her own warmth.

Help is seen less often than selfishness so bad examples are set for younger generations. When you turn on the news all that is shown is the war and bad occurrences. What are kids to think when the world is overcome with war. The people of America elected a selfish president. He’s concerned with gaining control of the middle east and has little concern with the costs to reach his goal. Children are taught the president is someone who should be looked up to. If they follow his example I fear for the world’s future.

I believe war is not a way to solve problems. No one should be forced to go through such a traumatizing experience. If weapons aren’t an acceptable way to handle civilian disputes then it shouldn’t be acceptable to solve international problems either.