Jessica - Dayton, Maine

“This I Believe”

I believe in miracles. I personally live with one everyday. My younger sister is my one true hero. No not my parents or my older sibling, yes my 12 year old sister. Her name is Nicole and to this day I have not met anyone as strong, brave, and giving as her. She suffers from a genetic disease called Cystic Fibrosis. She was born premature and was a still born. She was brought back to life twice. She says she remembers what heaven was like and that it is the most beautiful place you’ve ever seen and she hopes that she will end up there someday with your grandfather & a buffet full of her favorite foods. We all know she is headed in the right direction. She is only getting worse because her disease is progressive. She had to take hundreds of pills daily and have hours of treatments to stay healthy. She gets to eat all the food she wants and really doesn’t gain a pound. She has a liver of a 40 year old alcoholic, CF related Diabetes, her pancreas does not function, and her lung function is only 80%. She gets blockages a lot. She is always asking my mom “Why does God do this to me?” “Am I really that bad of a kid to have this happen to me?” my mom breaks down crying, speechless. My younger sister pretty much lives in the hospital. She knows all of the doctors and nurses by their first name and they all love her to death. If you were to meet her all you’d see is a 12 year old that simply loves to be silly and loves life to the fullest and treasures every minute of it. This is the one true reason I believe in miracles.

She really is my miracle and I could not ask for something better. She is the miracle that God gave me and my family and we are all extremely thankful for her.