Heather - Orrville, Ohio

Every year I excitedly wait for the day after Thanksgiving to walk through my cinnamon-scented hometown. On a chilly night, through the snow-frosted streets, I like to hear the high school band play “It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year” and I cannot help but hum along. This is an annual celebration, known as “Home for the Holidays,” which is one of the perks of a small town life. Everyone, bundled with scarves, hats, and mittens, walks downtown anticipating Santa Claus’ arrival at nine o’clock. The businesses open up with gracious hospitality while generously handing out vibrant red and white candy canes and other wonderful yuletide treats to the public.

As I saunter through town with my red, sniffling nose, I spot people displaying the most genuine smiles and laughter I never witness throughout the rest of the year. I thoroughly enjoy seeing the college kids that come home for the holiday, enjoying themselves with townspeople. It always puts a smile on my face when I see people of all ages frolicking with their families. There is a certain atmosphere during the Christmas season that just seems to make people unite together and become delightfully pleasant. This night is one of the many reasons why I am a proud believer in Santa Claus, and the spirit that he provides.

Santa Claus is a belief that people can carry in their hearts forever. We carry him in our hearts from the time we are children. As teens we still wait up to hear sleigh bells on Christmas Eve. Eventually, we grow up and have families of our own and take on the role as Santa Claus ourselves.

The season is very much about giving. Santa Claus helps me maintain my hopes and dreams. He gives me a reason to keep my dreams. I am the type of person that will sit on Santa’s lap when I am forty, because I believe that he is a good thing to believe in. Everyone needs something to believe in, and because I believe in Santa Claus, I believe that he opens the door for me to believe in an abundance of other things that are otherwise difficult to believe in, including myself.

I feel that during the Christmas season, the stars are brighter, the air is fresher, and peace, love, and joy are evident, if only for a short season. People do not have to be Christians to enjoy the secular part of the Christmas holiday. My atheist friend enjoys watching Christmas movies just as much as me. He also believes in Santa, and melts every time he watches A Christmas Carol. He also enjoys losing himself in holiday movies including the old standard childhood favorites: Rudolph and Frosty. It is apparent to everyone that the world improves during the Christmas season because of my pal, Old Saint Nick.

Santa Claus may not be a real person, but he is a legacy that, for the Christmas season, makes the world a little nicer. He helps make the world bright. He also helps make children smile. Plus, he has many songs written after him, and that has to make a person extremely admirable! I feel that if we are all honest and not too embarrassed, most people will admit that they too believe in Santa Clause because I definitely believe in him with my whole heart.