Ally - Orrville, Ohio

This I Believe…….

A friend of mine, who is a veterinarian at our local vet office, took in an abused dog a few months ago. When he got the dog, the chain from his collar was imbedded in the dog’s skin. Bandit had to have an extensive surgery to remove the chain from his neck.

Last January when I was coming home from the mall, a skinny black dog was sitting outside my door shaking in the cold with no collar or any type of identification. When I saw her, my heart immediately started to melt, and of course I brought the dog inside and fed her right away. My parents told me that we had to try to find the owner because we “COULD NOT have four dogs living in the house!” Luckily we never found the owner, and “Lucky” is an awesome addition to our family. She is the type of dog that never gets annoying, and is always happy no matter what happens. Every time I see her no matter what kind of day I had she always brings a smile to my face. There are many more dogs and animals that are neglected and abused like Lucky and Bandit that could end up being great pets and companions. I really do not understand how someone could harm or neglect an animal. They are really missing out on an awesome gift.

To me animals play a much more important role than just to work or for their fur. Many animals help make people’s jobs or lives easier such as avalanche rescues dogs, seeing eye dogs, police dogs, and the horses ridden by the mounted police. Most of the jobs that animals have today are very important jobs that could not be replaced by any human or machine. I believe that humans should all have a pet because they provide irreplaceable companionship and animals can sense what humans are feeling without words.

Why are dogs used to help search for people lost in an avalanche? Or how do they guide a blind person around objects blocking their path? Or, why are they used in therapy in hospitals? Animal’s senses are stronger than what we have. A dog can track a scent for miles to help find a lost person or to help a hunter. A dog can also hear a sound that is 25 meters away and perfectly identify where the sound came from. Dogs also have a very good memory, which is why they are easy to train. Horses can sense a sudden change in weather or when a storm is coming. As humans, we do not give animals the recognition they deserve.

This past year I got the flu two different times right in the middle of the school year and the peak of my swimming season. It was not anything life threatening, but I still did not feel good. I was stressed because I was missing so much school and practice. While I was lying at home in my bed wallowing in self pity, my dog, Sophie, just jumped up into my bed and started licking my face. It immediately brought a smile to my face and I even laughed a little bit. For the rest of the day, she never left my side. When she did, leave the room, it was only when she was following me downstairs to get my next dose of medicine. I really believe that she could sense that I was not feeling well, and she wanted to try to help me. I think that by having that unbreakable bond, like what I have with my dog, has helped me through so many obstacles and hardships in my life. I believe that animals are precious gifts and we need to nurture and love them as they nurture and love us!