Mary - Orrville, Ohio
Themes: family, hope, illness

This I Believe: NEVER GIVING UP

When things get tough, there are only a handful of people that keep pushing through. Most people today become frustrated, and feel like the task simply cannot be done. They give up and quit. For example, a soldier fighting in the war, walks over a land mine and needs to get this leg amputated. The soldier lets that ruin everything he has going for him and just gives up. But I believe in never giving up, like the little engine that could.

I was in fourth grade, my mom, dad, brother and I headed down to Columbus for one of our monthly visits with the rest of the family. All of the cousins were playing, when the parents told us something that we could not quite understand. “Yia yia has breast cancer”. Of course we just knew it was like being sick, but we never knew how serious it was.

After years of chemotherapy, millions of prayers and one final surgery, she had beaten cancer. A few years later, we got a phone call saying my Uncle George had just been diagnosed with throat cancer.

That was another blow to the family.

And now since we were older, we knew just how severe cancer was. Luckily, doctors had caught the tumor early, and he only had to go through a few treatments of radiation, and just one surgery, he had also beaten the cancer. I am proud to say that both Yia yia and Uncle George are cancer survivors. Lance Armstrong is also a very positive example of never giving up. He has fought through three different cancers and has gone on to win six more Tour de Frances. This life lesson has taught me, like them, to never give up.

My future is my goal everything is left in my hands. The moment I leave home for college, my future reflects my own efforts, and how I handle the things that challenge me.

Thank God, I have not experienced something to this magnitude when I could have given up, and quit.

My junior year I did not make the cheerleading squad. At first, I was upset and didn’t know how to handle it. But as the football season arrived, I realized I was ok with not making the squad. I tried out again the next year, and made it. I could have given up, and thought I was no good, but instead I tried even harder than I had the year before.

An unknown author said this quote “When the world says, ‘Give up,’ Hope whispers, ‘Try it one more time.’“