Scott - Dallas, Texas

It’s so funny how everyone has those activities that we were forced to do as a kid, which we hate at the time, but we later realize that without having those things to shape our lives we would be completely different. For me it was Boy Scouts, I absolutely hated it, my dad forced me to be in it just as he had done with many of my other extracurricular activities. Most of the boys in my troop didn’t really like me that much, but that was my fault I didn’t want to be their so I became very reclusive which caused me to be the odd ball of the group. I always had a friend though, he has been my best friend ever since one of the first weeks that I started boy scouts. The reason we became friends was because we had the same mindset, that scouts is hell and, now that I look back on it, it was hell but it was only like that because we thought of it that way. I realize now that I learned many of life lessons that I wouldn’t have gotten anywhere else. Scouts really made me come out of the shell I had developed around myself, especially when I got to the higher ranks of scouting when I had to take care of the younger kids. It really opened so many doors for me because I really wasn’t interested in many other extracurricular’s so scouting really gave me the confidence boost that I wasn’t getting from other places. I really do feel like scouting opened up my horizons and I will never forget the lessons I learned from. For that dad, I really thank you.