Kacie - Elk Ridge, Utah

Music is my Life

My name is Kacie H-, and I am in 9th grade. I am a girl who loves to dance, sing, and play the piano. Music is my life. I go through my daily life and my mother always catches me either singing, dancing, or listing to my music. I could not go through one day without having music in my life.

Ever since I was in second grade, there was an assembly and the high school drill team was performing for us. I was astonished and in aw. I wanted to become one of those beautiful girls on that stage. I went home and told my mother that I was going to become a Paysetter. She told me that I needed to have a lot of experience in dance to become as good as them. So that ended up with me in Lifehouse academy for Dance. At first I thought it was going to be easy. But I discovered that is was very hard. Before I started dancing, I had told myself that I was good at nothing. But when I started dancing with Lifehouse, I realized that I was good at something. I never noticed that I had the talent for the musical arts.

After 7 and ½ years of dancing, I had to quit because of a medical problem. My knees started to give out on me. When I went to the doctor, they said I had some sort of leg syndrome. They said that I had used my knees too much, so I had to quit dancing for a couple of years. I cried all night, because I thought that my dream of becoming a member of the drill team was over. No one could comfort me that night. I thought my life had come to an end.

Well, two years had passed and it was the year of Paysetter tryouts. I was devastated. I had been dancing a little bit and had showed my friends. All of my friends asked if I was going to tryout. I protested that it wasn’t for me. They told me that I was the best dancer that they had every seen, and that I should try out. The day of tryouts came. I spent 3 and ½ at the high school trying out. I got called back twice and still was not sure if I was going to make it. The judges came out and put the list up. I went over to see if my number was up on the board, and it was! I had made the drill team! My life long dream had come true. I ran over to my mother and gave her a big hug that about knocked her over. I called my dad, which he was in Oregon awaiting my call, and told him that I had made it. He was so incredibly proud of me.

I also love to sing and have been in 4 different choirs. I love to express myself with my music and have made 6 different songs up. I start by banging on the Piano and finding a certain key that I like. Then, after I have found the key, I start playing chords and thinking of the certain emotion it portrays. I begin to sing that emotion and it comes out sounding either good or bad. If it is good I write down the chords and the words to the song, so I don’t forget it.

You may just think that I am just rambling on, but I do have a point to this essay. The freedom of Expression plays into mind when I think of this essay. On the Wikipedia site I looked up Freedom of Expression and it says, “The synonymous term freedom of expression is sometimes preferred, since the right is not confined to verbal speech but is understood to protect any act of seeking, receiving and imparting information or ideas, regardless of the medium used.” I agree one hundred and ten percent with Wikipedia.

In conclusion I would like to say that your dream can take you to where ever you want to go. Don’t give up on your dream, even if someone tells you you’re no good, keep trying and I promise you that you will succeed. You have the freedom of expression, so use it in the best way possible. Don’t stop doing what you do best, and if you don’t know what you do best, figure it out and keep at it.

Please remember that you are special and that you can exceed your dreams, no matter how crazy they are. This is what I Believe.