Tenzin - Minneapolis, Minnesota

I believe that a friend is worth more than the world you live in. After all, if you were I, surrounded and standing on a ground that is built from many friends. But don’t get me wrong, I am not saying they are my ledge on which I use them to “stand up”. Rather they are the people that make my world much more stable. It dawned on me “HOW MUCH” a friend is worth when I was nine years old, when kids are getting to know their best friends. I wish that I could tell you I met my best friend and he became my world. Instead at nine years old I lost my relationship with my best friend. You know that saying “you will never know what you had until it’s gone”, that happened to me. I was devastated!

My friend that I had spent day and night with, playing cops and robbers, going back and forth from his house to my house on Saturdays and Sundays, getting in trouble in school for wrestling with each other, was no longer around. That friend who I saw everyday when I stepped out of my house, the one that gave me the world to see with such vibrant of colors, left me. His mother did not approved of me and said, “Don’t go with him because he is a trouble maker”. Bamm, a lightning struck right between him and I. I was shattered! He left me in a world with no color to see except the brown on the ground, the green on the trees and the light blue in the sky. The world was worth less than what I had in my piggy bank. For the next few years, I lived in a world of loneliness, isolated; in a world I only saw brown, green and blue.

A few years later, half a world away, across the great blue Atlantic, I found a life with new colors. Here, in America, when I was twelve years old, I started to do what nine year olds do; I began to look for friends. I knew that if I did not find the right friend, world would be place for me to just live in. I wanted more than that; I wanted to live in a world that was electrifying, challenging, ground shaking, fun, and most importantly stable. In my world friends were these qualities and much more. I am happy to report you from my first year English writing class that I am living in a world that is worth much more, colorful and stable because of my friend.