Abigail - Dallas, Texas

After an exhausting, hot summer of training for cross country, tryouts were here. Unlike the other girls trying out for the team, I had a knee injury and was scared to death of permanently ruining the condition of the knee. But in my heart I knew I had to give myself a chance to be on a team again. Cross country was a different sport than basketball, soccer, or volleyball. This required more mind over matter. Unfortunately reoccurring knee injuries stood in my way. Despite all the fear, I went for the hardest obstacle and made the team. Running for the cross country team is like pushing a huge boulder up a steep hill, but then on the side lines are the coaches that believed in us from the very beginning. You know the task is impossible, but attempting the challenge brings you that much closer to the finish line.

Before I knew it, the district race was here. This was the day our team had been waiting and training for all season. The starting line was crowded with about ten different teams and more than a hundred girls. Butterflies were inside making the adrenaline more and more intense. The gun fired. The long two mile race has started. At the last quarter mile, my knee felt heavy and uneasy, fatigue was streaming through my body, my heart was pumping, but best of all my confidence was growing. I crossed the finish line with my other team mates right next to me. The minute I crossed the line I realized I had accomplished my goal. Never again will I have to doubt something that I know in my heart I can do. I believe in myself.