Kelsey - mountlake terrace, Washington

I believe that exercise and watching what you eat is the only true way for people to lose weight. So many people complain about their weight and try to take the easy way out by taking diet pills or shakes, that tell you that you don’t need to work out for them to be affective. When really they don’t help with much other than burning a hole in your pocket.

My dad has been over weight for as long as I can remember. He has probably tried 100 different ways to lose weight other than actually exercising and watching what he eats. All of these do nothing but keep him the same size, if not bigger. After watching him all my life struggle with weight, I have made it a point to not turn out like him.

For my senior project I exercised every other day for 3 months and kept away from junk foods. As a result, I lost inches off my body and gained 3 lbs of muscle. Not only that, I felt more motivated and awake during the days. During the 3 months I learned a lot about staying fit, what equipment helps work different parts of the body, what are good things to eat in order to lose weight, as well as many other things that come helpful in staying fit. I wanted to educate myself on effective ways to stay healthy. Since I started working out, my dad has taken part in my workout gym and has a goal he’s working on with his weight.

I hate hearing people talk about how much they need to lose weight but never do anything about it. They just sit there and eat more and more junk food. I understand that it’s hard to lose weight when there is a McDonalds on every corner of every street, but that’s when you need to discipline yourself. Mind over matter as my trainer has always said. I just want to knock some sense into the people that refuse to exercise and till them to quit complaining if they aren’t going to do anything about it.