Emma - Dallas, Texas

I have grown up in a very affluent upper-class community in Dallas, TX. Highland Park is stereotyped for snobs, money, mansions, beauty, and fancy cars. Yes, the majority of the people here are fortunate enough to have all this, but its not like that for everyone.

My father started his own t-shirt company and is one of the most hardworking people I know. He doesn’t make nearly enough money as the stereotypical Highland Park family, but we get by. In elementary school I always envied the kids who got dropped off the brand new Mercedes. I wasn’t ashamed that my family wasn’t as rich as the other kids, but I was definitely jealous.

Its was hard watching my peers get everything handed to them, while my parents had a stronger work ethic than their parents. My whole life I’ve had to work in order to get something I wanted. I grew up surrounded by wealth, but wasn’t apart of it. I felt like I was being teased, like a small child reaching for candy. I felt like nothing was fair and that I wasn’t good enough.

When I started to get older however, my views somewhat changed. Of course I was still jealous of the rich kids, but something occurred to me. I realized that some of these kids are going to have nothing to look forward to ten years from now when driving a fancy car isn’t any different than their first car back in high school. I had to settle for used older cars, but was grateful to even have a car in the first place. And at least I had something to look forward to. I also think that I am more independent than most kids I know. Even though living in this upper class community could be saddening at times, I feel like I’m a stronger person for being content with who I am.