Andrew - West Saint Paul, Minnesota

It took many years to form my belief that if there is one true fact that is resounded in this complicated world, is the fact that “people don’t change.” There are songs, written texts, and sermons around the world and throughout time, that place firm belief in that “people change.” I believe that this is completely and utterly untrue. For only living 16 years I have found out that no matter what front people put on, no matter what mask, people never truly change. They bury deep down in the pit of their heart what they believe in, and it stays there. They may be able to cover it with tons and tons of “dirt,” but truly it is still down there. Rarely does it come out because usually people bury it so deep they tend to forget it, but it never truly disappears.

Some of you might ask “Well, if they buried it, haven’t they changed?” What I say to that is absolutely not, because in the end we die, and we are buried in hole in the earth. Our loved ones will still remember us, our spirit still lingers. This is just the same as the false fronts people will do to convince you that they have truly turned away from what they thought. But as we all know it is nearly impossible to turn around what we believe in for so long. There will always be an open sore we inflicted upon somebody, a scab that just has been picked at for so long that, we, nor anyone else, may erase.

People will lie, cheat, and abuse others to obtain what they need. Character will always be at stake. But it is then when we will stand for what we believe in. It is something that we cannot change, ever. We may accept the beliefs of others to form a more perfect belief, but the sole original will always be there.

You see that before we end up in a hole in the earth we participate in a thing called life. Throughout history great men and women have left there mark on this planet. They held strong to a firm belief, a certain something they truly lived for. Along their path they came with new ideas to add, new concepts to understand, but deep down at the roots they held strong to what they believed in. Some beliefs that come about merely are a finger painting, but the true ones paint a portrait. A portrait that may help others add to what they stand for. For you cannot make a stand without something you truly believe in, this will not ever change. It remains there through the stains of time, clear and concise, and it will never be fully erased. This I believe.