Danielle - Turlock, California

True Belief is Belief of Life

I’ve always believed life is what you make it. You make it hard, it’s going to be hard. You make it excellent, it’s going to be excellent. The day I thought it was hard, was the day I was poring my eyes out getting into my grandma’s car. I thought for a long time during the long ride that I need to make life excellent. I said to myself:

“Mom’s going to fight because you believed in her and she wants to spend the rest of her life making sure you and your sisters have a good one.”

I was about five or six years old when my mom had leukemia and I couldn’t see her because she had to go through treatment a lot. My dad was strong for most of the time she was sick, but it started to get to the point where he couldn’t see us seeing her the way she was. My parents decided to send my three sisters and I to stay with our grandma for the duration of her sickness. I remember the last day I saw my mom before I went to my grandma‘s. I told her:

“I will never stop praying for you because you aren’t just my mom, you are also my best friend too.”

When a person like your mother is sick in the hospital, the last thing you want to do is be hundreds of miles away from her. I cried every night I was away from my parents and not a day goes by where I let that go. I’ve tried so hard, but it isn’t exactly the easiest thing to do.

I started to hate my mom because I didn’t understand how she was so sure she’s going to live when one of her best friends died of leukemia a little while before she was diagnosed. That was one of the hardest days of her life and I know if she was to die I would die on the inside. Then, I thought about my life and how my mom told me everyday before school that I was a winner. I then realized at that moment, as my tears were draining down my face, that my mom can fight this sickness because her life isn’t close to being over. Not a lot of people could understand why I was so happy all of the sudden. It was because I finally believed that my life was going to be excellent.

I am now eighteen years old and I tell my mom everyday that I love her and I am so glad god let her stay with us. I don’t exactly pray as much as I used to, but I know god understands how thankful I truly am. Everyday when I wake up in the morning and I see my mom I say to myself, “she lived because you believed.” This I believe.